- 9 oz self raising flour
- 2 oz margarine
- 125ml whole milk
- Seasoning to taste - I used about 1 desertspoon each of mixed herbs and smoked paprika, and a pinch of chilli
- 4oz mature cheddar
- A dash of lemon juice
- Prepare the cheese and find your seasoning ingredients. Measure the milk and preheat the oven to gas mark 6.
- Rub the margarine into the flour.
- Stir in the cheese and seasoning ingredients.
- Add the milk a little at a time until you have a soft dough, and knead it together.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface. I rolled it to about 1cm thick and used a small cutter to produce more than a dozen scones.
- Arrange them on a baking tray and bake until golden, and hollow-sounding when you tap them underneath. My small scones took around 8 minutes - slightly longer for the bottom tray when the oven was full.