I previously wrote about baked beans- but whether you love them or hate them, sometimes you want something quick and easy, but a bit more special. Last night, for example, we had venison burgers. Here’s a quick side dish based on Boston baked beans I devised as an accompaniment.
They’d be perfect for a barbecue, or just served on a jacket potato with cheese on top. They’re vegan. If you don’t have treacle/molasses you could use another sweetener but the flavour wouldn’t quite be the same – and any beans will do. Baked beans are traditionally made with haricot beans, but you can use your favourite.
- 1 400g/14oz can chopped tomatoes
- 1 390g/13.75oz can pinto beans
- 1 400g/14oz can butter beans
- 1 teaspoon black treacle/molasses
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch garlic granules
- Place all ingredients in a pan and mix well.
- Simmer for 20 minutes on a low heat.