I previously wrote about baked beans- but whether you love them or hate them, sometimes you want something quick and easy, but a bit more special. Last night, for example, we had venison burgers. Here’s a quick side dish based on Boston baked beans I devised as an accompaniment.
They’d be perfect for a barbecue, or just served on a jacket potato with cheese on top. They’re vegan. If you don’t have treacle/molasses you could use another sweetener but the flavour wouldn’t quite be the same – and any beans will do. Baked beans are traditionally made with haricot beans, but you can use your favourite.
An easy home made baked bean style dish that's ready in less than half an hour.
- 1 400g/14oz can chopped tomatoes
- 1 390g/13.75oz can pinto beans
- 1 400g/14oz can butter beans
- 1 teaspoon black treacle/molasses
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch garlic granules
- Place all ingredients in a pan and mix well.
- Simmer for 20 minutes on a low heat.