This vegan african peanut soup is not an authentic recipe, but my take on a West African dish – adapted for busy modern lives.
African style peanut soup sounds very exotic, doesn’t it? My adaptation takes just 20 minutes and uses just 4 ingredients. It’s based on peanut and sweet potato stew recipes like this one. If you’re extra hungry or serving loads of people throw in a can of tomatoes for a variation – I’ve made it both ways.
Leftover Sweet Potatoes
I love baked potatoes, they’re a bonfire night favourite in this house. We even do them in the slow cooker. Next time you make them sling in a couple extra, and you can wizz this soup up in very little time. If you aren’t cooking baked potatoes anyway but want the speed factor, stick them in the oven or microwave while you’re doing the washing up or making tea the night before. They will keep til the next day in the fridge – or longer in the freezer.
Choosing your ingredients
As this is a vegan african peanut soup, peanut butter of course features in the ingredients. I use a natural peanut butter that contains nothing but peanuts. If you want to use one with added salt and sugar, I’m sure it will still taste great, but check for palm oil.
I use extra hot chilli powder even for mild dishes as you use less of it. I made this pretty mild. Remember, it’s best to get to know your chilli rather than relying in quantities in recipes. Here’s my handy chilli guide.
If you don’t have a blender, a good mash with a potato masher or fork to break up the clumps of sweet potato should do it. As a variant, try making the soup with leftover roast squash.
A really quick African inspired vegan soup. Calories given are per bowl
- 4 cups Vegetable stock/broth/bouillon (1 litre)
- 4 medium sweet potatoes cooked
- 3 heaped tablespoons natural peanut butter
- 2 pinches extra hot chilli powder
- Bring the stock to boil on the hob.
- Scoop the sweet potatoes out of their skins and drop them in the stock.
- Add the peanut butter and chilli and mix well.
- Cook until it's heated through and the peanut butter is mostly melted in.
- Blend until smooth and serve.