This quick gnocchi with ham, mushroom and peas uses just one pan and is ready in 20 minutes.
Do your weekday evenings always seem to be a rush? I’m in a rush to get to the nursery, a rush to take my little boy home. I’m in a rush to make tea and a rush to eat it and get him ready for bed before he gets over tired. Or perhaps you want a cooked lunch at the weekend, but you have housework and activities to squeeze in round it? Do you end up resorting to processed food like ready made sauces and microwave ready meals? We had fish and chips for a rare treat last Friday, and my little boy loved it!
Make It Yourself
Whether you’re a busy adult or a parent trying to find fast but nutritious food to feed your children, the key is often to take a few shortcuts with ingredients. A homemade meal with a couple of prepared ingredients is still much tastier and healthier than a microwave meal.
In this recipe I’ve taken advantage of the fast cooking times of fresh pasta like gnocchi. If you aren’t a mushroom fan, just skip the mushrooms and add a couple of handfuls of frozen sweetcorn in with the peas. But my favourite fast ingredient for dishes like this is shredded smoked ham hock.
Many supermarkets here sell cooked ham to be used as an ingredient. The ham has been shredded or cubed, and can be found along with the sliced sandwich ham. I find the shredded ham hock has the best flavour. If you can’t get this, leftover home cooked ham or chopped up ready sliced ham would be fine.
calorie count based around the recipe making 3 servings
- 1 onion
- 275 g mushrooms 10oz
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 500 g fresh gnocchi 17 1/2 oz
- 3 handfuls frozen peas
- 130 g smoked shredded ham hock 4 1/2 oz
- black pepper to taste
- Peel and dice the onion.
- Wash and slice the mushrooms.
- Fry the onion and mushrooms in a little oil until the onion starts to soften.
- While they are cooking, grate, chop or crush the garlic. Add it to the pan as soon as the onion is soft.
- Stir it round briefly then immediately add the tinned tomatoes.
- Stir in the gnocchi, ham and frozen peas.
- Bring to the boil and cook for around 7 minutes, until the gnocchi is soft. You'll need to stir it occasionally.
- Top with black pepper and grated cheese to taste.