This smoky spanish style chickpeas and chorizo skillet is ready in just 30 minutes.
We bought a packet of shredded cooking chorizo for a quick weekend lunch a couple of weeks ago, and it happened to be a double packet. I planned to use the other half for a chicken and chorizo dish, but the chicken turned out to be required elsewhere. Luckily we had a spare can of chickpeas – I think chickpeas go so well with Spanish flavours.
This isn’t an authentic Spanish recipe, it’s just spanish inspired – for when barbecues and picnics aren’t an option, but you want a taste of summer. Chickpeas and chorizo are great for if you want to try eating more pulses, or less meat, but prefer a meal that tastes of meat, as the chorizo inspires the whole dish with its smoky flavour.
I jazzed up the rice with two spoonfuls of stock powder, one of turmeric, and a couple of handfuls of peas. A garnish of olives finished it off nicely – the olives are optional, but so tasty!
5 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 onion
- 2 peppers
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 65g shredded cooked chorizo
- Chop the onion and peppers and fry them until the onion is becoming translucent.
- Add the garlic powder and smoked paprika and stir well.
- Stir in the tomatoes , chickpeas and chorizo.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the rice is cooked or you are ready to eat. You may need to add a dribble of water to stop it sticking.